Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympic Nastiness

My absolute favourite sport at the summer Olympics is women's gymnastics. Unfortunately, I missed a lot of it this time, due to vacationing and whatnot. The only coverage of it that I could find for the final few events was on NBC. I was watching the uneven bar event final, when I realized how much I HATE American broadcasters. Nastia (what kind of hellish name is that???) from the US was up second and ended up tying for points with the Chinese gymnast, but was ranked second because of some tie breaking rule. The American play-by-play people spent the next 6 gymnasts picking apart everyone's routines, nit-picking every wrong move, and commenting before every gymnast performed that "there's no way SHE can win". Instead of focusing on the grace and beauty of the routines and on the positives, they went straight for the "nasty". The entire thing turned into a poor us, we only won Silver. Nastia was actually CRYING about winning the silver (or NOT winning the gold). Oh, poor you Nastia. I know the next time I win a silver medal at the Olympics, I'm sure I will be incredibly disappointed.
But it didn't stop there. Bela Karoli was interviewed later and he actually accused the judges of being incompetent because there weren't any from a country that has won an Olympic gymnastics medal (apparently only American judges truly know how to score a routine). All this whinging and dithering about winning a silver medal????? Oh grow up. Come live in a country that has won fewer medals overall than the Americans have won just in gymnastics. You will learn to cherish medals, no matter what colour they are.
So. America. Grow up. Stop whining and enjoy watching your athletes compete.

2 comments:

Tassi said...

Here here!
Also when are they going to start selling advertising spots on the gymnasts butts? Surely more men gawk at the tiny suits than the routines. And that would be soooooo American.

Vicki said...

Post again already! I quite enjoy reading your thoughts...you entertain me!