Thursday, May 29, 2008

Irony Returns from a Vacay.....

Alright. Gimme what you have, dear irony. I can take it. Or at least I think I can.

About two months ago I started thinking about all the pictures I have on my computer. There are lots that I don't have anywhere else, that would be devastating to lose. Like all the pictures of Kinsey's birth. And her first 2 years. All in all, about 7,000 pictures. I began to worry that something strange might begat my 'puter, rendering the pictures unviewable. Now, I'm sure you all know by now that I am plagued by irony. So we all know this story will not turn out well for my little computer friend.

So I decided I'd better back them all up onto CD's. So, being the naive person I am, I set out to do that. And my computer said "Huh??? You realize, dumbass, that this will take 48 CD's.....do you HAVE 48 CD's???" And I realized that I had about 4. So, it took a bit for me to actually get to Costco to buy the monster pack of CD's. So, weeks later I truck home to copy all my pictures. In the meantime, I had made myself some mixed music CD's (the new version of the mixed tape), and all the songs after track 10 sounded really weird. I deduced (being, you know, aware and all) that my CD burner had some 'issues' and would need replacing.

So.....I consulted my personal tech department (my bro'), and ordered me a new CD burner. I was so proud. Look at all I was able to accomplish!! The day it arrived I decided to tackle the installation myself. After a lot of vacuuming (holy crap do computers ever accumulate a lot of dust bunnies) I managed to get the CD burner installed. Happy happy joy joy!!! I plugged everything back in....turned on the computer......and.....sparks flew and the sound of hissing electricity came out of the back of the computer, along with a hideous smell and a nice puff of smoke. I phoned my tech support and was told that I had let the white smoke escape, which is never a good thing. Basically, it was funeral time for poor 'puter......this was the calamity I had been feeling the foreboding of.

So, basically, I was left with a bill for a new cd burner, a million blank CD's, and a new power supply (so tech support could see if the computer was working). Luckily I was able to recover all the pictures (wow, dodged a bullet on that one!!!) and my old hard drive now functions as the back-up for my (well, our) new Macbook. Which I love more than life itself right now

You may be asking, hey Jenn, have you learned anything from this experience?? And I would have to answer, why YES I have. I have learned that no matter how slim a possibility there is for something strange or ironic to happen to me, I should ALWAYS assume that the worst and most ironic thing will, indeed, come to fruition. The problem is, I can never anticipate exactly when irony will strike, or in what form it will come. Apparently my role on this earth is to give a big laugh to whoever or whatever is controlling my fate.

Alright irony.....whatcha got for me NOW???

No comments: